Shell Energy Retail Limited (company number 05070887) is the data controller of your personal data (referred to in this Policy as “Shell Energy” or “we”).
If you have any further questions about how we collect, store and use your personal data, please contact the Data Protection Officer via one of the methods of contact below:
Data Protection Officer
Shell Energy, Shell Energy House, Westwood Business Park, Westwood Way
Coventry, CV4 8HS
Your personal data will be:
- Processed fairly and lawfully
- Processed only for specified and lawful purposes and not further processed in any manner incompatible with such purposes
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purposes for which they are processed
- Accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date
- Kept no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected
- Processed in accordance with your rights in relation to it
- Kept secure
- Not transferred to people or organisations situated in countries without adequate protection
How we collect your personal data
Information provided by you
As part of the recruitment process, we will collect information from you in order to determine your eligibility and suitability for the role. This will include personal data contained in your CV or application form such as:
- Contact address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Employment history
- National insurance number
- Marital status
- Health or medical conditions that could affect your work
- Unspent criminal convictions
- Diversity related information, such as your nationality, ethnic origin, religion and sexual orientation
This is in addition to any information you disclose to us during your interview or assessment centre, and any proof of identification information that you provide to us.
Aptitude tests and personality profiles:
We may also ask you to complete an aptitude test or a personality profile, so that we can assess your compatibility with our organisational culture, values and the role that you are applying for. You can object to giving us your personal data in this stage of the recruitment process by contacting us at email@example.com .If you choose to participate, we will discuss the outcome of these tests with you during your interview, and you may access the details of the information we used to produce the results of the personality profile, during the interview, and discuss with us if you believe there are any inaccuracies.
We will only collect the minimum amount of data needed to create your personality profile. If you would like to understand more about what information we will use to create these personality profiles, please ask us during the interview process and this will be explained to you.
After you have accepted a position with us:
Where we have offered you a position and you have accepted it, prior to starting work with us we may also use your personal data to carry out pre-employment screening, in addition to validating and taking up any employment references.
As part of our new starter questionnaire, we will also request information about any health or medical conditions that you may have that could affect your work. In doing so, we may process personal data which is sensitive in nature, which can include details of criminal convictions or proceedings or information as to your health.
Information collected from other sources
Personal data about you may also be sent to us by third parties such as recruitment agencies and job boards, should you apply to a vacancy that we have advertised with them.
We may also contact you directly using social media services such as LinkedIn, based on publicly available information that you have uploaded to your profile.
How we use your personal data
We’ll use your personal data for the purposes outlined below:
To fulfil our legitimate business interests, of the proper running and growth of our business, and the safety and physical security of our buildings, assets and people. The uses of your personal data under this legal basis will include:
- To process your application and conduct interviews
- To verify your eligibility for a role, including criminal record, right to work and employment reference checks, prior to making an offer of employment to you
To comply with our legal obligations, and for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims:
- To meet our legal obligations to verify your right to work in the UK
- To comply with our supplier licence conditions to undertake background checks
- To help us to comply with anti-discrimination provisions of employment and equality laws, we will collect any diversity information you choose to disclose to us during the onboarding process such as your nationality, religion, ethnic origin, disability and sexual orientation.
Where we have your consent:
- To contact you about future vacancies that may be of interest to you
Special categories of personal data:
Where we collect and process special or sensitive categories of personal data (for example, health assessment and criminal convictions information), we will only process such information:
(a) where we reasonably need to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations as an employer or prospective employer or to exercise specific rights that we have as an employer (where relevant); or
(b) where you have given us your consent. If we have asked for your consent to collect and use certain types of personal information, you can withdraw your consent at any time, by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
As a candidate, we will not use your personal data for direct marketing purposes.
Sharing your personal data
Your personal information may be shared with any company that is a member of our group of companies, which includes our ultimate parent company Royal Dutch Shell Plc, where necessary for internal administrative purposes, corporate strategy, auditing and monitoring and research and development. We may also share your personal information with our group companies where they provide products and services to us, such as information technology systems or recruitment services.
We will also share your personal data with the following categories of third parties:
- Background screening providers, to enable them to carry out criminal background and right to work checks (where background checks are required)
- Recruitment agencies and job boards, should you choose to apply for one of our vacancies with them
- Third party aptitude test and personality profile providers, should we request that you complete an aptitude test or personality profile prior to your interview (and you agree)
We will also disclose your personal data to third parties:
(a) where it is in our legitimate interests to do so to run, grow and develop our business:
i. if we sell or buy any business or assets, we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
ii. if Shell Energy or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by Shell Energy will be one of the transferred assets;
iii. if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, any lawful request from government or law enforcement officials and as may be required to meet national security or law enforcement requirements or prevent illegal activity;
(b) to respond to any claims, to protect our rights or the rights of a third party, to protect the safety of any person or to prevent any illegal activity; or
(c) to protect the rights, property or safety of Shell Energy, our employees, customers, suppliers or other persons.
Some of these companies including our group companies may use your data in countries which are outside of the European Economic Area. Please see the section below entitled "Transfer of your personal data outside of the European Economic Area" for more detail on this.
Save as expressly detailed above, we will never share, sell or rent any of your personal data to any third party without notifying you and/or obtaining your consent. Where you have given your consent for us to use your personal data in a particular way, but later change your mind, you should contact us at email@example.com and we will stop doing so.
Transfer of your personal data outside of the European Economic Area (EEA)
When we do send personal data outside the EEA, we will ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place to protect your data in accordance with European data protection requirements, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). These may include:
- Sending information to countries which have been deemed as having adequate protection by the EU
- Entering into European Commission approved standard contractual arrangements with the third party, or in the case of US based service providers, ensuring they have signed up to the EU-US Privacy Shield (see further https://www.privacyshield.gov/welcome)
- Binding Corporate Rules for transfers among the Shell Group. You can request a copy of these by contacting SITI-MLM-Support@shell.com or privacy-office-SI@shell.com
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Shell Energy have implemented appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the confidentiality of the personal data that you entrust us with. We update and test our physical, logical and procedural security controls on an ongoing basis. These include limiting access to your personal data to those who need it and training our employees about the importance of maintaining the privacy and security of your personal data.
How long do we keep this information
Candidate data will be held for 6 months following the date of your application. Should we wish to retain your data for a longer period, such as to keep in contact about suitable vacancies, we will only do so where you grant your permission in advance.
Data Subject Rights
The following section sets out your rights in relation to your personal data. If you would like to exercise any of your data subject rights, please contact us at email@example.com
Certain personal data may be exempt from such requests in certain circumstances. If an exception applies, we will tell you this when responding to your request. We may request you to provide us with information necessary to confirm your identity before responding to any request you make.
- You have the right to ensure that any information we hold about you is accurate and kept up to date. Please let us know if you would like to update any inaccurate or incomplete records.
- You have the right to request that we erase your personal data under the following grounds:
- Your personal data is no longer necessary in relation to the purpose for which it was collected or processed
- If the processing is based on consent, you choose to withdraw your consent and there is no other legal ground for processing
- You object to processing, and there are no overriding legitimate grounds to continue the processing
- Your personal data has been processed unlawfully
- Your personal data must be erased for compliance with a legal obligation
- You have the right to request the restriction of processing of your personal data under specific conditions, unless we have a lawful reason to continue, such as for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
- You have the right to request a copy of the personal data you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used and machine readable format, so that you can transmit this to another organisation. Where technically feasible you can also request that we transmit this data to another organisation.
- You have the right to object to processing which is based on:
- Legitimate interests
- Tasks carried out in the public interest
- As a candidate, you will not be subject to any decisions based solely on automated processing which produces legal effects or significantly affects you.
If you would like to make a complaint, please contact our Data Protection Officer at:
Data Protection Officer
Shell Energy, Shell Energy House, Westwood Business Park, Westwood Way
Coventry, CV4 8HS
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office.